Renovating a commercial space is a big endeavor. There is a lot that can go wrong, so you need to make sure you have an experienced office construction contractor on your team who knows precisely what to do. Commercial remodels add value to your space by making it more comfortable for customers, more efficient for your staff, and less expensive to maintain. Without regular upgrades, many commercial spaces will become obsolete. Here are top tips for ensuring a successful commercial office renovation.
New Safety Features To Include
You need to make sure everything is up to code. Check with your local building inspector to get updated building codes. Having adequate fire safety equipment in your commercial building is vital. Whether it’s new construction or a renovation project, a properly planned fire protection strategy is necessary. Improvements like changes to the fire doors or widening of hallways and doorways should be considered. The upgrades can be costly. Once you know how much the safety features will cost, you can begin to plan for the remodeling project.
Updates For Energy Efficiency
“Smart” building is the term used for buildings that have complete automated controls and systems in place. The cost of energy is one of the biggest expenses for commercial buildings, but it’s also an expense that’s more controllable than others. By applying appropriate energy upgrades for commercial buildings, owners, managers, and tenants can make significant reductions in the amount of energy that’s used, and the amount of money spent each month on this expense.
There are a number of changes that can be made to older properties to make the building more sustainable.
- Upgrade And Maintain HVAC Systems – Heating and cooling systems can account for a substantial portion of your monthly energy bill. Energy upgrades in this area can cut energy costs significantly in your commercial building. Replacing older HVAC equipment with newer high-efficiency systems can cut your heating and cooling bills by a significant amount. High-efficiency HVAC systems may cost more initially, but their improved performance means they can often pay for themselves within a few short years.
- What Are The Pros Of Using Solar Panels? – Solar panels make it possible for a building to generate its own power.
- Renewable energy source – Among all the benefits of solar panels, the most important thing is that solar energy is a truly renewable energy source.
- Reduces electricity bills
- Diverse applications
- Low maintenance costs
- Technology development
- Water Reduction Measures – Business owners can significantly cut into their water usage, be more effective environmental stewards, save money on their utility bills, and reduce the need for water system maintenance. Water barrels, tankless water heater and low -flow fixtures, waterless urinals and high-efficiency toilets are relatively easy and affordable to install and can all help reduce the use of water on commercial buildings.
Let’s face it, most people are on a budget nowadays. If you run a business, you know the value of staying on budget and staying on task. If you have an upcoming commercial renovation project, you need a plan that works when it comes to budgeting your money. Every dollar counts in the world of renovating commercial buildings. Budgeting is a multi-step process that usually evolves depending on how much the total renovation will cost, how much the property owner has on hand to spend, and how much the property owner will have to borrow to finish the project. The return on your investment can justify large remodeling expenses.
What Should Be The Focus Of Your Commercial Remodel?
What features are you going to include? The part of the building that you choose to renovate will depend on your business needs.
A few examples of different sections of your commercial building may include:
- Renovating Commercial Office Space – Before moving on to the next steps, you should stop here and determine what your goal is for this renovation. Depending on your industry, you may have an off-season that you can plan around when work isn’t as busy. Otherwise, you will need to make concessions to remodel your space without interrupting your work too much. This type of renovation makes growth possible. Removing walls to create an open floor plan gives your business the flexibility you need to add more people without a crowded office. There are many steps to consider, but with a good team and an even better plan, you can ensure these projects go off without a hitch and without causing too much disruption.
- Bathrooms – If you’re a building owner or building manager, you know that one of the most important and daunting jobs you’ll take on is renovating your property’s restrooms. To save money on water usage, during your bathroom upgrade, install touchless features to improve sanitation, and install low flow fixtures to reduce water consumption. Design the new bathrooms to be both comfortable and easy to maintain.
- Think About The Exterior Of Your Commercial Building – Is your driveway and parking lot looking shabby? If so, plan to add space for more cars and improve the ambiance of the building. We aren’t exaggerating when we say that your curb appeal can make or break your business. First impressions are everything, and a shoddy parking lot can turn potential customers away from your business. In addition to the parking lot, think about the landscaping of the building. Improving the pathways that lead to the entrance can make it easier for customers to reach the building in the cold and snowy weather. Plant some trees along the pathway to create shade from the summer heat and include some flowering bushes and annual flowers to make this entrance eye appealing. According to a study done by Michigan State University, a business with landscaping and pleasant curb appeal can increase the perceived value of the business by 5 to 11%.
Beyond practical improvements like eliminating safety hazards and making your business more energy-efficient, a well-planned renovation can also help you boost profits, appeal to new customers, increase employee satisfaction, and improve workplace efficiency.
Contact Us (859-538-6198) For a Free Consultation!
Complete Structural Partners (CSP) provides commercial and residential contracting, renovation, and remodeling services to the Greater Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area. We specialize in retail, office, healthcare, warehouse, and manufacturing construction projects. CSP provides quality craftsmanship that is completed on time and under budget. Our Interior Design Division provides decorating, staging, and space planning services as well as construction services for small remodeling projects.